Tuesday, March 14, 2017

#6- Critiquing a Media Critic

Trevor Noah

Trevor Noah is the current host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central. His spot as host was previously held by Jon Stewart for 16 years, and Trevor took over the show in 2015. Trevor Noah is a 33-year-old “comedian, writer, producer, actor, media critic, and television host” from South Africa. He had been involved with The Daily Show since 2014 but became the host the next year when Jon Stewart announced that he would be leaving the show.
I first watched The Daily Show with Trevor Noah last semester when I was writing a paper on television news for my Intro to Mass Communications course. I admit that I had never seen The Daily Show before I had to work on that assignment. When I noticed the show was on Comedy Central, I thought it would be a good news program to watch because I wanted a break from the other typical news shows I was analyzing.
I’ve seen articles on the Internet talking about Trevor Noah is not as good as Jon Stewart was as a host for The Daily Show. When I first watched it, I was not biased on Trevor Noah being the lesser host because I had honestly never taken the time to watch The Daily Show when Jon Stewart was hosting. I thought that Trevor Noah was a good host for The Daily Show. As a critic, he talks about news in politics along with other world and pop culture headlines. I watched The Daily Show when the 2016 Presidential Election was underway, so there was a lot of talk about the latest Trump and Hillary news. Trevor has an enjoyable sense of humor, and everything sounds nice and smooth when he says his jokes in his South African accent. He criticizes everyone to certain point, but I don’t think he tries to push any kind of bias on his audience. He just says what he has to say, and his critiques of political figures, celebrities, and real life people often get a few laughs out of me. Even when his jokes or critiques fall flat, I still enjoying watching him and listening to what he has to say.
Probably one of my favorites episodes of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah was where he interviewed Tomi Lahren, a beautiful blonde who is known for making her conservative opinions known loud and clear on The Blaze (since this episode was released, Tomi has been suspended from The Blaze due to her views on being pro-choice). In the episode, Trevor and Tomi discussed different issues (such as immigration, Colin Kaepernick, and the Black Lives Matter movement) while both sharing their own personal opinions. Even though they both disagreed on many issues, it was a mostly civil debate, and even though Trevor believed differently than Tomi, he never once belittled her. Trevor handled the debate well and made his opinions on the issues known without trashing Tomi on-air, and she did the same to him. I feel that Trevor Noah is an adequate host for The Daily Show and an effective media critic because he critiques things with humor and truth, but he is also very polite and genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment